Code/Decode

Narain is the founder & CEO for 360 Degree Interactive, a web services firm based in Chennai, India. This blog is about his personal views on Web 2.0, RoR, Social networking,Digital media, interactive advertising, SaaS, Service Oriented Architecture, India Inc, rural education, Web standards, mobile 2.0 and more.

Monday, January 30

Web 2.0 Lifestyle

Having decided to create a web 2.0 company from the scratch, the firt thing i have done is to uninstall applications from my laptop. The reason being is very simple. I want to testdrive the alternatives available on the net for my regular official / personal work.

Here is the list of web applications i use.

My Email client - Gmail, Mail2Web

For work & communication - Meebo [ I get my Yahoo!, Gmail, AOL, MSN everything in one single Ajax driven window]

Office suite - Thinkfree Office [I often user Word, Excel. Loading of the applet is a bit pain, once loaded you will work with superior comfort. Alternatively try NumSum for spreadsheet work, works perfect. At times I use either Writely or Writeboard for collaborative text / copy editing

Work assignment / tracking - Basecamp

Todo lists / personal milestones - Remember the milk

Blog / RSS feeder - Bloglines What else can come closer to this.

Bookmarks - del.icio.us aka Yahoo! It's even more easier with the Firefox extension.

File sharing - DropSend [ Dropsend is like every other file sharing application online, the difference is its brilliant desktop integration with a small desktop tool, so sharing files is actually a drag n drop from one folder to dropsend shared folder. Job done! very useful for people like me who used to transfer multiple MBs of files daily]

Photosharing - Flickr

Entertainment - YouTube - Well, you will say this is pirated. This is video sharing at its best. Currently i m viewing some of my favourite hindi albums [this, this] with youtube only.

Homepage - Google personalised Homepage where i configured my most visited blogs and news sites. So every time i use google, i know what's latest in the world.

But, overall, my feeling of using all these services is satisfactory. What's more i am no more limited with my desktop / laptop. My entire communication & work is now on various shared service file servers. So working anywhere is now realistically possible.

There are couple of tools which i am looking for syncing with my mobile which will be a separate list.

1 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Blogger Karthik said...

incase u'ven't seen this post on web 2.0
web2.wsj2.com/the_best_web_20_software_of_2005.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Performancing